- Create a credit note to reduce an amount your customer owes.
Create a credit note to process a cash refund, or offset it against an invoice or bill.
Sometimes you need to charge less than the amount of an already issued invoice. This usually happens to correct a mistake, such as when an invoice amount is overstated, the correct discount rate is not applied and so on. You can achieve this in OfficeR&D using a Credit Note (CR).
In order for a CR to take effect, you have to allocate it to an existing Invoice. There are two ways you can do that:
- Open an invoice, create a Credit Note and it will automatically get allocated to the opened invoice
- Create a Credit Note, go to an Invoice and allocate it manually
Allocate a CR to an invoice directly
- Open up an existing invoice and click the yellow Credit Note button on the top right.
- A dialog will appear with all items already present in the invoice.
This way you can select which items you would like to allocate a credit for. You can check/uncheck items you would like to include or exclude. Click Add and it will automatically get allocated to the invoice.
Allocate a Credit Note manually
- Go to Billing/Invoices and click the blue Add credit note button on the top corner.
- A dialog similar to the invoice dialog will pop up where you can select a team/individual, issue date and add items and amounts which will be deducted from the invoice to which the CR will be allocated.
- Once you click Add/Add & Send you will have a record similar to the following in the invoices list
You have now successfully created a credit note. In order for it to actually take affect you will have to allocate it to an invoice.
- Open the newly created credit note.
- Under Allocations click the Allocate credit button.
- In the dialog select an invoice to which this credit should be allocated.
- Click Add to allocate the credit and charge the customer with the appropriate decreased amount.