Handling the billing of an organization can be quite dynamic. Deals are re-negotiated, terms change, and details are changed on the go. Such changes may happen after an invoice or credit note is already issued. This means the invoice needs to be changed after the fact.
One way OfficeRnD facilitates quick changes to invoices is the option to detach line items from an invoice. This means the items can be invoiced again with the correct details.
What Happens When You Detach Line Items
When you detach a line item from an invoice, the connection between the item and the invoice is removed. However, the Invoice itself won't be changed. It will still list the same services and price, and can be fully paid - including the detached line item. Which is why we recommend voiding before detaching any items.
When Should You Detach Line Items
Detached line items are considered neither invoiced, nor paid - regardless of the status of any invoice they belonged to. They can be invoiced as usual - both manually and through the automated bill run.
The purpose of detaching line items is to break the connection between the invoice and the line item so that the line item can be invoiced again with the correct details. We only recommend detaching line items from invoices or credit notes that are no longer correct and need to be voided.
How to Detach Line Items
Follow the steps below to detach a line item from an invoice.
- Open an Invoice or a Credit Note.
- Click the Detach button available on the top left toolbar.
- Review the line items and select the ones you want to detach.
- Click Detach.
- If you detach a line item from an invoice that hasn't been voided, that can lead to double charges for the same service. That is why we only recommend this function for voided invoices.
- If you turn Automated Billing on, detached line items may be automatically invoiced depending on their start and end dates.
Please sign in to leave a comment.