OfficeR&D integrates with QuickBooks so that you can save time and streamline your billing and accounting. The integration automates the following procedures:
- Generate Invoices - on the billing date you set up in OfficeR&D under Settings/Invoicing, the system will generate all invoices.
- Sync - the customers' profiles and the generated invoices are synced with QuickBooks. During the integration setup, you can choose whether to sync invoices automatically or manually.
- Export Invoice Document - you can configure OfficeR&D not to generate the invoice documents so that QuickBooks can create them for you.
- Send - you can configure OfficeR&D to automatically send the synced invoices to the members.
- Pull Charges - you can configure OfficeR&D to automatically pull reconciled payments from QuickBooks and mark the invoices as paid on the OfficeR&D side.
Integrate OfficeR&D with QuickBooks
To set up your OfficeR&D and QuickBooks integration you first need to have both OfficeR&D and QuickBooks accounts.
- Navigate to Settings/Integrations.
- Locate the QuickBooks box under the Accounting section and click Add. You can connect each location created in OfficeR&D to a specific QuickBooks account. This way you can map the same OfficeR&D billing plans to different QuickBooks products or services purely based on the location of the customers being invoiced. By default, the system will connect the QuickBooks integration with all OfficeR&D locations.
- Select the location you will integrate and click Add.
- Click Activate.
- Click Connect and authorize OfficeR&D to use your QuickBooks account.
- Click Configure to define the mappings between OfficeR&D and QuickBooks.
The configuration is like an interpreter between the OfficeR&D language and the QuickBooks language. The "conversation" between the two systems revolves around invoices and is driven entirely by OfficeR&D. Depending on how you set up the integration, OfficeR&D will let QuickBooks know when a new invoice is generated and updated. OfficeR&D can also regularly ask QuickBooks for updated payments on invoices. You control whether these "conversations" are automated or manually triggered. Each "conversation" contains information about the invoices and their line items, which is why you need to configure mappings between the attributes of the invoice line items in OfficeR&D and QuickBooks - tax rates, plans, payment accounts.
The general settings of the configuration are available under the General tab.
- Sync Behavior - configure the sync behavior so that invoices are synced manually or automatically when you create or update them in OfficeR&D.
- Pull charges automatically - tell the system if you want it to automatically pull charges from QuickBooks. When that option is enabled, invoices reconciled in QuickBooks will be automatically marked as Paid on the OfficeR&D side.
- Allow multi-currency mode - set this option if you have configured your QuickBooks account to support multiple currencies. This option makes OfficeR&D send the currency code along with each invoice so that QuickBooks understands the exact currency the invoice should be created in.
- Customer Memo - If you will generate the invoice documents in QuickBooks, you can set a template to be used to populate the invoice Statement memo property in QuickBooks. This property in QuickBooks is essentially a summary of a transaction that appears on the customer’s next statement. You can use the following OfficeR&D placeholders in this template: documentNumber, documentReference, customerName, customerEmail.
- Private Note - If you will generate the invoice documents in QuickBooks, you can set a template to be used to populate the invoice Message displayed on invoice property in QuickBooks. This property in QuickBooks is essentially a private note that can be added at the end of the invoice document.
The Payment Accounts tab enables you to map every payment option available in OfficeR&D to a payment account in QuickBooks. On the left-hand side, it lists all payment option is OfficeR&D, starting with the manual payment options and listing any options provided by an integrated payment provider.
- Cash - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record cash payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeR&D.
- Bank Transfer- map to a QuickBooks payment account to record bank transfer payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeR&D.
- POS - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record POS payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeR&D.
- Cheque - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record cheque payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeR&D.
- [Payment provider] Card - this option is only available if you integrated OfficeR&D with a credit card payment provider. Map to a QuickBooks payment account to record credit card payments charged via OfficeR&D.
- [Payment provider] [Payment Method]- this option is only available if you integrated OfficeR&D with a payment provider that officers non-credit card transactions such as ACH. Map to a QuickBooks payment account to record the payments charged via OfficeR&D.
The Tax Rates tab enables you to map every tax rate you configured in OfficeR&D under Billing/Tax Rates to a tax rate in QuickBooks. Make sure to map every tax rate, including the 0 tax rate options as otherwise, the integration will yield errors.
The Tracking tab allows you to track invoice line items in QuickBooks based on the location of the invoice in QuickBooks.
- Track location by - select whether you want to use Classes or Locations in QuickBooks to tag the invoices.
- [Location Name] - map every OfficeR&D location to a class or location property in QuickBooks so that OfficeR&D knows how to translate the invoice location to QuickBooks. Based on that setting, you will be able to track the revenue streams per location.
Products & Services
The Products & Services tab is the most important tab of the integration. Within it you "translate" the plans configure in OfficeR&D under Billing/Plans to products or services you created in QuickBooks. This is how OfficeR&D know which products and services to put on an invoice that is synced with QuickBooks so that they can be properly accounted in the QuickBooks reports.
On the left side of the tab, you find a list of all Billing Plans configured in OfficeR&D. Each one needs to be mapped to a product or a service in QuickBooks.
- Default Accounts - map the default OfficeR&D accounts to a product or a service in QuickBooks. To change the default OfficeR&D accounts, navigate to Billing/Accounts.
When you connect OfficeR&D to a QuickBook instance that is invoicing other products or services outside of what OfficeR&D invoices, we recommend that you use the QuickBooks numbering to avoid the two systems duplicating invoice numbers. In that case, navigate to Settings/Invoicing and deselect the Generate invoice numbers in OfficeR&D option.
If you let OfficeR&D generate the invoice numbers, make sure to enable the Custom transaction numbers in QuickBooks. To find that setting, open QuickBooks in a new tab, click on the cogwheel and select Company Settings. Open the Sales tab and under Sales from Content select the Custom transaction numbers option.