Sometimes you might want to provide a member of your community with a temporary discount for their monthly recurring membership. This article outlines the steps and the available possibilities.
How it Works
- Create a discount
- Cancel your customer's current membership
- Create a new membership and apply the discount
- Optionally create one more membership in the customer account to start after the discounted period ends
Create a Discount
The process begins with creating a discount:
- Navigate to Billing/Discounts.
- Click Add Discount and choose Plan Discount.
- Select the applicable plans.
- Define the discount amount by setting a Percent Off or an Amount Off value. For example, set either to 100% to create a full discount.
- Enter a discount code in the Code field. Learn more about Discount Codes.
- When you are done, click Add.
Cancel Your Customer's Current Membership
- Open your customer's profile and find their current membership.
- Click on the cogwheel next to the membership name and click Cancel.
- Set the End Date to match the end of the non-discounted period and click Cancel Membership.
Carefully choose the discount start date by considering the last invoiced period of this membership. As discounts cannot affect already created invoices, it's important to ensure the discount is applied at the start of the upcoming non-invoiced period.
Tip: Use the Show Invoices option from the cogwheel menu to find the Last invoiced period.
Create a New Membership and Apply the Discount
Next, you will add a new membership for your customer. Its Start Date and End Date should match the discounted period.
- Add a new membership - Here's how.
- In the Select Discount field, select the appropriate discount.
- Review the changes in the Price, Default price, and Discount amounts.
- Set the proper Start Date and End Date values for the discounted period.
- Click Add to apply the changes.
Create A Full-Price Membership to Start After the Discounted Period
At this point, you can create a new full-price membership to start after the discounted period. This way, the system will automatically charge the customer differently, depending on the invoiced period.
To create a new membership, follow the steps above. Alternatively, you can Clone the customer's original membership and edit its Start Date, End Date, and Resource properties:
- Find the customer's original membership.
- Click on the cogwheel next to it and select Clone.
- Change the Resource, Start Date, and (optionally) the End Date of the membership.
Your company profile now features multiple memberships - each for a different period and a different price. Resultingly, the revenue and occupancy reports in OfficeRnD will accurately display the discounted period and report the proper revenues.