You can watch a video on custom domains that includes a CSR guide in this link
When you want to configure a custom domain for your members portal you will need to issue a Certificate Signing Request(CSR) for that domain first.
This is a message that is sent from you to the certificate authority (GoDaddy, Cloudflare etc.) that will let them know the specific parameters of the certificated that you need.
There are different tools that you can use in order to generate a CSR.
Our suggestion is to use a utility, rather than an online CSR generator, as that will generally be a more secure way of procuring what you need for your custom domain, without potentially jeopardizing your security.
A utility we can recommend that you use is DigiCert's Utility.
You can follow the instructions that they've provided in the article above in order to generate your CSR.
After generating your CSR you can go to the respective certificate authority and use it in order to generate a certificate.
Getting Your Private Key From DigiCert's Utility
If you use the utility that we mentioned above you can very easily get your private key after you purchase your certificate.
Note: Please note that this will only work if you use the same machine as the one you used to issue the CSR.
- You can go to the "SSL" section and click on the "Import" button.
- In the newly opened window you can navigate to the file of the certificate that you've previously downloaded, after purchasing your certificate from the respective authority.
- After importing the certificate the utility will recognise the fact that you've issued the CSR from the same machine.
You can then select the SSL certificate you've just imported and click the button "Export Certificate".
By default, there will be an option that's enabled "Yes, export the private key".
You should click the second option "Key file (Apache compatible format)".
- After that you can click "Next". Here you can enter the path where you'd like the files to be exported.
Note: If you've set a password for your machine, the utility will probably require that you enter and confirm it before exporting the file.
- Once all of the steps above are completed you should be able to send us the private key and certificate files in order for us to be able to complete the installation of the certificate for your custom domain of the members portal.