What is Hotspot 2.0?
Hotspot 2.0 is a protocol that enables seamless, secure authentication and roaming between Wi-Fi networks. It offers several benefits for a coworking space's Wi-Fi network, including ease of use, enhanced security, and better performance. Hotspot 2.0 is also required for using VLAN tags with OfficeRnD and IronWiFi.
- No need for users to manually connect to a Wi-Fi network. Instead, devices can automatically connect to the network when they are in range for a hassle-free user experience.
- Improved security. The WPA2-Enterprise encryption provides strong protection against unauthorized access and eavesdropping. It also offers additional security features such as device certificates, which help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Hotspot 2.0 supports multiple channels and frequencies, allowing devices to automatically switch to the best available connection.
Before You Proceed
- Please ensure that your network infrastructure is compatible with the protocol and that your users' devices are capable of using it. You can reference the documentation from WFA, browse the IronWifi Hotspot 2.0 Help Center, or consult your network vendor.
- Hotspot 2.0 is entirely configured from the Wi-Fi Infrastructure and IronWiFi. While it does not depend on any OfficeRnD settings, it is required for using VLAN tags with OfficeRnD and IronWiFi.
Hotspot 2.0 works with a Passpoint profile that users need to download/install on devices they want to connect to the respective Wi-Fi Network. The link for downloading the Passpoint profile can be found in IronWiFi under Provisioning URL (OSU) in Captive Portal settings:
Flex operators can add this link to the OfficeRnD Welcome email template. This would allow members to install the profile at any time. Once the profile is installed on a device, it will automatically connect to the network when in range.
The following help resources for passpoint configuration are available:
- Meraki Passpoint Configuration with IronWiFi
- Ubiquity Passpoint Configuration with IronWiFi
Note: Please, keep in mind that Hotspot 2.0 is not supported on the latest version of UniFi Ubiquiti Network. The feature is still available on older software versions. For more details, please, contact Ubiquity.
- Using VLAN Tags With IronWiFi & OfficeRnD