Charges made with Stripe can be Refunded from Flex or have their status changed to Refunded. You can also record refunds via credit notes. This article will explain how to issue Stripe refunds from Flex.
- Issue a Refund From Flex
- Record a Stripe Refund Manually
- Automatic Sync of Stripe Refunds to ORND
- Details Applicable to Refunds
- Partial Refunds
Issue a Refund From Flex
Users with the necessary permissions can initiate a refund of a Stripe charge directly from Flex. There is no need to refund charges from the Stripe Dashboard.
Only Owners, Admins, and Custom roles with permission Billing > Charges > Refund Charge can make refunds. The permission can be seen below. Learn more about custom roles and permissions.
1. To find invoices paid via Stripe, use the Payment Method filter and select the desired Stripe payment method (e.g. Stripe card):
2. Click on an invoice to open it. In the Payments section, click on the cogwheel next to the payment and choose Details:
- Charges with status Pending might not have details. This is because there isn’t a charge created in Stripe yet. You can try again later.
- Charges with status Failed might not have details. This happens when the charging fails before a charge is created in Stripe.
3. In the dialog that opens, click on Send Refund.
Note: The button is shown only to Owners and Custom roles with permission Billing > Charges > Refund.
4. Enter the relevant data in the fields and click on Refund. The Refund will be sent and the payment status will be automatically changed to Refunded.
The Stripe refund process takes some time. The status of the charge in OfficeRnD will automatically change to Refund when it’s completed.
Change an Invoice Status to Refunded
This simply marks a Charge in ORND as Refunded but does not initiate a Refund.
Refund the charge in Stripe.
Open the invoice containing the charge in Flex and click on the cogwheel
Choose Change status and select Refunded, or choose Delete. Both actions will mark the charge as Refunded.
Automatic Sync of Stripe Refunds to Flex
It's also possible to automatically sync the refunds made in Stripe to Flex. Note that this is enabled by default:
Refund a Charge in Stripe.
As soon as the Charge has been marked as Refunded in Stripe, the Charge and its invoice will automatically be marked as Refunded in ORND.
How It Works
1. In Stripe, refund a charge as you do normally:
2. In Flex, open the invoice you refunded and look at its status under Payments. Before the refund, the status was Success. After Flex syncs the refund with Stripe, the status will change to Refunded.
Details Applicable to Refunds
If a Stripe Charge has been manually refunded in Flex, the sync will not record the refund twice or cause other duplicating.
When at least 1 Charge in an invoice has been Refunded (as there can be multiple Charges), the invoice also becomes Refunded.
Depending on the bank’s processing times, it could take 5-10 days for the refund to be received.
If the Stripe refund for a Charge is partial, the UI will not reflect the refund but it will be available via the API. This applies to a partial refund of 1 charge, i.e. the invoice was paid only via 1 payment.
If the invoice was paid in 2 charges and you refund only one of them, this will be reflected in the UI - i.e. charge 1 is marked as successful, charge 2 is marked as refunded, and the invoice is marked as refunded too.