This help article will help you add a new customer either as a company or an individual member. In OfficeRnD you can create company records, individual members, and company team members. Individual members are usually freelancers and members that do not belong to a company.
Tip: If you have a list of existing members, we can import it in OfficeRnD for you. Head over to the Import Members tutorial for more information.
Table of Contents:
- What You'll Need
- Onboard a New Member
- Add Memberships, One-Off Fees and Invoices
- Update Billing Details
- Manage Members' Payment Details Deletion Option
- When to Create a Company or an Individual member
What You'll Need
Onboard a New Member
Adding Company and Company Members
- Open the Community tab and click Add company to open the company editor.
- Add the company details:
- More info
- Start Date
- Click Add. The company profile page will be opened.
3. Now you can add employees names and email addresses by clicking on the Add Member button.
Add Individual Members
- Navigate to Community/Members.
- Click Add Member.
- Add the member profile details and leave the Company field empty:
- Start Date
- Click Add.
Add Memberships, One-Off Fees and Invoices
Open the profile page of the members - a company's individual member. This is where you add their memberships, one-off fees, and invoices.
- Click Add Membership to assign a reoccurring membership for a private office, desk or a service.
- Click Add Fee to assign a one-off charge such as a key deposit or printing services. The fee will be added to the first invoice issued after its purchase date and will not be added to regular recurring invoices.
Once a member has memberships and one-off fees added in their profile, you can raise and send their first invoice.
- Click Add Invoice and populate the Issue Date, Due Date and the period of the invoice:
Tip: If you want to charge fees immediately and prorate the first month, open Settings/Invoicing and make sure you have set up your prorate and billing segregation settings to your preferences. Read more.
Update Billing Details
You can find the Billing Details of your companies/members on the left side of their profile page. Click on the Edit button to change them.
Add Payment Details
IMPORTANT: To add, update or change payment details of a company or a member, you need to set up a payment gateway integration. Learn more.
To add the member payment details on their profile page:
1. Navigate to the Payment Details section.
2. Click on Add Credit Card, Setup ACH or Setup PayPal.
3. Add the payment details and click Add.
Manage Members' Payment Details Deletion Option
You can set a rule to allow or forbid your members to delete all their payment details (a specific type of payment details or all types). If you forbid the deletion of billing details, members won’t be able to remove their last remaining saved payment details from their profile.
Simply put, if enabled, your members will be obliged to have at least one remaining kind of payment details in their profile.
If you navigate to Settings/Platform/Community? Members' Payment Details you will find the three deletion-control options:
- Members should not be able to delete their last remaining Credit Card - if enabled, members won’t be allowed to delete their last saved Credit Card, which means that it will be required to have at least one credit card payment details saved.
- Members should not be able to delete their last remaining Bank Account/Direct Debit details - if enabled, members won’t be allowed to delete their last saved bank transfer payment details (used for SEPA, ACH, Bank Transfer), which means that it will be required to have at least one bank transfer payment details saved.
- Members should not be able to delete their last remaining Payment Details in their account (regardless of the billing details type) - if this option is enabled, members will be obliged to have at least one type of payment details saved in their account - either Credit Details or Bank Account/Direct Debit details.
NOTE: You can either enable the first, the second, or both deletion-control options, OR you can enable only the third one. There is no way to select the three deletion-control options at once.
When to Create a Company or an Individual member
Depending on your use case you might prefer different approaches when it comes to the question of what you should create - a member or a company. Here are our tips on the matter:
- We normally recommend that you create companies when the billing isn't going to be done for an individual but rather for a legal entity.
- It's best to create a single company and assign multiple members to it, as this will facilitate the management of memberships, invoices, credits, etc.
Otherwise, you'll have to check each of these things for every single person.
We have an option that allows you to set a membership or a fee to be billed directly to the member when there are certain memberships and fees that are assigned to a specific person.
- If you're not dealing with a large number of clients you can create a member and then assign them to a company with the same name. We then suggest that issue any invoices and assign memberships directly to the company, instead of billing them to the person, since the person is the company.