Sometimes you need to charge less than the amount of an already issued invoice.
This usually happens to correct a mistake, such as when an invoice amount is overstated, the correct discount rate is not applied, and so on. You can achieve this in OfficeRnD using a Credit Note (CR).
- Create a Credit Note Manually
- Create a Credit Note from an Invoice
- Create a Credit Note from a Fee
- Allocate a Credit Note
- Allocate a CR to an Invoice Upon Creation
- Allocate a Credit Note Manually
How to Create a Credit Note
There are three ways to create a Credit Note. Each can be useful, depending on the case.
Create a Credit Note Manually
- Go to Billing/Invoices
- Find and use the Add Credit Note option
- Fill out the Credit Note details
- Hit Add and you are ready!
Create a Credit Note from an Invoice
- Go to Billing/Invoices or a Member/Company's Profile and open the invoice you'd like to credit.
- Find and use the Credit Note option on the top-right.
- All details should be filled out by default, but you can make changes if needed.
- Hit Add and you're ready!
Create a Credit Note from a Fee
- Go to Community/Fees or open a member or team profile and find the Fees section
- Find the Fee you'd like to credit and click on the cogwheel on the right of its nameл
- Select the Credit Note option
- All details should be filled out by default, but you can make changes should they be needed - such as the credited amount
- Hit Add and you're ready!
Allocate a Credit Note
In order for a CR to take effect, you have to allocate it to an existing Invoice.
There are two ways you can do that:
- Open an invoice and create the Credit Note from its page
- Create a Credit Note, go to an Invoice and allocate it manually
Allocate a CR to an Invoice Upon Creation
- Open up an existing invoice and click the yellow Credit Note button on the top right.
- A dialog will appear with all items already present in the invoice.
This way you can select which items you would like to allocate credit for. You can check/uncheck items you would like to include or exclude. Click Add and it will automatically get allocated to the invoice.
Allocate a Credit Note Manually
This type of allocation only works for invoices that haven't been paid. If an invoice has been paid, the way to credit note it is to do it directly by following the steps described above.
- Go to Billing/Invoices and click the blue Add credit note button on the top corner.
- A dialog similar to the invoice dialog will pop up where you can select a team/individual, issue date; and add items and amounts which will be deducted from the invoice to which the CR will be allocated.
- Once you click Add/Add & Send, you will have a record similar to the following in the invoices list:
You have now successfully created a credit note. In order for it to actually take effect, you will have to allocate it to an invoice.
- Open the newly created credit note.
- Under Allocations click the Allocate credit button.
- In the dialog, select an invoice to which this credit should be allocated.
- Click Add to allocate the credit and charge the customer with the appropriate decreased amount.
Enable allocating Credit Notes to invoices different from their home location
By default, you cannot allocate a credit note created in one location to an invoice in another location. However, enabling the Credit notes can be allocated to invoices from other locations setting (found in Settings/Billing/Invoicing), the system will allow you to allocate a credit note created in location A to an invoice in location B.
Please sign in to leave a comment.