OfficeRnD integrates with QuickBooks so that you can save time and streamline your billing and accounting. The integration automates the following procedures:
- Generate Invoices - on the billing date you set up in OfficeRnD under Settings/Invoicing, the system will generate all invoices.
- Sync - the customers' profiles and the generated invoices are synced with QuickBooks. During the integration setup, you can choose whether to sync invoices automatically or manually.
- Export Invoice Document - you can configure OfficeRnD not to generate the invoice documents so that QuickBooks can create them for you.
- Send - you can configure OfficeRnD to automatically send the synced invoices to the members.
- Pull Charges - you can configure OfficeRnD to automatically pull reconciled payments from QuickBooks and mark the invoices as paid on the OfficeRnD side.
Please see our article on what you can do in this case.
Data that was already synced to one account can cause serious mismatches and synchronization between the two systems will fail, if you try to sync it again after connecting another account.
Table of Contents
- Integrate OfficeRnD with QuickBooks
- General configurations
- Configure Payment Accounts
- Configure Tax Rates
- Products & Services
Integrate OfficeRnD with QuickBooks
Note: The browser Safari will throw an error, if you use it to open the configuration settings of QuickBooks. In order to avoid this you should use Google Chrome.
To set up your OfficeRnD and QuickBooks integration you first need to have both OfficeRnD and QuickBooks accounts.
- Navigate to Settings/Integrations.
- Locate the QuickBooks box under the Accounting section and click Add.
You can connect each location created in OfficeRnD to a specific QuickBooks account. This way you can map the same OfficeRnD billing plans to different QuickBooks products or services purely based on the location of the customers being invoiced.
By default, the system will connect the QuickBooks integration with all OfficeRnD locations.
- Select the location you will integrate, or leave the field blank to connect to all locations and click Add.
- Click Activate.
- Click Connect and authorize OfficeRnD to use your QuickBooks account.
- Click Configure to configure the way OfficeRnD and QuickBooks share information.
The configuration is an interpreter between the OfficeRnD language and the QuickBooks language. Depending on how you set up the integration, OfficeRnD will let QuickBooks know when a new invoice is generated and updated. OfficeRnD can also regularly ask QuickBooks for updated payments on invoices. You control whether this is automated or manually triggered. Each synchronization contains information about the invoices and their line items, which is why you need to configure mappings between the attributes of the invoice line items in OfficeRnD and QuickBooks - tax rates, plans, payment accounts, - by which you help OfficeRnD translate the invoice data into the language of QuickBooks.
The general settings of the configuration are available under the General tab.
- Sync Behavior - configure the sync behavior so that invoices are synced manually or automatically when you create or update them in OfficeRnD.
Note: Setting your "Sync behaviour" to manually in conjunction with disabling "We'll generate invoices in ORND" and "We'll generate invoice documents in ORND" means that numbers and .pdf files for invoices will appear only after manually syncing an invoice for the first time.
Additionally, if you're using a purchase flow that sends invoices automatically it won't work.
The reason for this is that invoices require a manual sync to QuickBooks when they're created in order for them to get a .pdf. Without a generated .pdf file an invoice cannot be sent to customers.
- Pull charges automatically - tell the system if you want it to automatically pull charges from QuickBooks. When that option is enabled, invoices reconciled in QuickBooks will be automatically marked as Paid on the OfficeRnD side.
- Allow multi-currency mode - set this option if you have configured your QuickBooks account to support multiple currencies. This option makes OfficeRnD send the currency code along with each invoice so that QuickBooks understands the exact currency the invoice should be created in.
- Statement Memo - If you will generate the invoice documents in QuickBooks, you can set a template to be used to populate the invoice Statement memo property in QuickBooks. This property in QuickBooks is essentially a summary of a transaction that appears on the customer’s next statement. You can use the following OfficeRnD placeholders in this template: documentNumber, documentReference, customerName, customerEmail.
- Message displayed on invoice - If you will generate the invoice documents in QuickBooks, you can set a template to be used to populate the invoice Message displayed on invoice property in QuickBooks. This property in QuickBooks is essentially a private note that can be added at the end of the invoice document.
The Payment Accounts tab enables you to map every payment option available in OfficeRnD to a payment account in QuickBooks. On the left-hand side, it lists all payment option is OfficeRnD, starting with the manual payment options and listing any options provided by an integrated payment provider.
- Cash - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record cash payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeRnD.
- Bank Transfer- map to a QuickBooks payment account to record bank transfer payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeRnD.
- POS - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record POS payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeRnD.
- Cheque - map to a QuickBooks payment account to record cheque payments manually entered on invoices in OfficeRnD.
- [Payment provider] Card - this option is only available if you integrated OfficeRnD with a credit card payment provider. Map to a QuickBooks payment account to record credit card payments charged via OfficeRnD.
- [Payment provider] [Payment Method]- this option is only available if you integrated OfficeRnD with a payment provider that officers non-credit card transactions such as ACH. Map to a QuickBooks payment account to record the payments charged via OfficeRnD.
The Tax Rates tab enables you to map every tax rate you configured in OfficeRnD under Billing/Tax Rates to a tax rate in QuickBooks. Make sure to map every tax rate, including the 0 tax rate options as otherwise, the integration will yield errors.
The Tracking tab allows you to track invoice line items in QuickBooks based on the location of the invoice in QuickBooks.
- Track location by - select whether you want to use Classes or Locations in QuickBooks to tag the invoices.
- [Location Name] - map every OfficeRnD location to a class or location property in QuickBooks so that OfficeRnD knows how to translate the invoice location to QuickBooks. Based on that setting, you will be able to track the revenue streams per location.
Products & Services
The Products & Services tab is the most important tab of the integration. Within it you "translate" the plans configured in OfficeRnD under Billing/Plans to products or services you created in QuickBooks. This is how OfficeRnD know which products and services to put on an invoice that is synced with QuickBooks so that they can be properly accounted in the QuickBooks reports.
On the left side of the tab, you find a list of all Billing Plans configured in OfficeRnD. Each one needs to be mapped to a product or a service in QuickBooks.
Important: OfficeRnD doesn't map billing plans to QuickBooks categories. If you are using categories in QuickBooks, make sure to map the OfficeRnD billing plans to the proper products/services in QuickBooks and the categories will be automatically applied on the QuickBook's end.
Default Accounts - map the default OfficeRnD accounts to a product or a service in QuickBooks. To change the default OfficeRnD accounts, navigate to Billing/Accounts.
Note: When you connect OfficeRnD to a QuickBooks instance that is invoicing other products or services outside of what OfficeRnD invoices, we recommend that you use the QuickBooks numbering to avoid the two systems duplicating invoice numbers. In that case, navigate to Settings/Invoicing and deselect the Generate invoice numbers in OfficeRnD option. In this case, you need to have Custom transaction numbers disabled in Quickbooks.
If you let OfficeRnD generate the invoice numbers, make sure to enable the Custom transaction numbers in QuickBooks. To find that setting, open QuickBooks in a new tab, click on the cogwheel and select Company Settings. Open the Sales tab and under Sales from Content select the Custom transaction numbers option.
Please sign in to leave a comment.