As you might have probably read, OfficeRnD offers an easy Step-by-Step import flow for your customers' data. The ideal flow should be executed one after another (starting with Companies->Members->Memberships), and as you might have already imported your companies' data, we will go through the Members Import process in this article. The import functionality can be found under the Settings/Import/Members tab. It can be a useful functionality for updating purposes as well (updating/editing existing members), more on that later.
Important to Note
- It's best if you download our template using the link above in order to see which columns are going to be necessary to be filled out in order to complete the import. Alternatively, you can use your own spreadsheet (please note that only .csv files can be uploaded) and after that, you'll be able to match the columns in your files to the columns in OfficeRND - more on that later.
- If there is a validation error when uploading the data, you might not be able to proceed unless the error has been fixed. There are two types of warnings in terms of the validation of the import file - red (an error that should be fixed in order to continue with the import) and slightly yellow (it has a warning function only, but you will be able to continue with the import, more on that later).
- If the members already exist in the system (their names should match the names of the existing members completely), new members won't be added, but the system will update the existing ones.
- If a company name is specified for the member in a row, and this company doesn't exist in the system, a new company won't be added, but there will be a validation error.
- Spaces in the beginning and in the end of the entry would be automatically removed.
Import Flow Steps
The Members import flow contains three main steps - Upload spreadsheet, Match columns, and Summary. We will go through each one in detail.
- Download the example file to get started (Optional - the file can be found here at the top of the article, and when you click on the "Download template" button in the Members tab).
- Upload your file (click on the Upload CSV button).
The required columns are the following (they will have a "*" symbol included for that purpose):
- Member Name* - The name of the member that will be added/updated.
- Location* - The location of the member.
- Start Date* - For the start date of the member, note that one of the following formats should be used: YYYY-MM-DD, DD/MM/YYYY, or MM/DD/YYYY.
Other columns that can be of use (Optional):
- Member Email
- Company Name (the company should already exist in the system, otherwise, the data won't get validated, and new companies won't be created)
Choose date format from which OfficeRnD will parse the dates
You'll first need to select the date format that you're currently using in your CSV file in order to help OfficeRND set the start dates of the members correctly.
Note: This is important because if the format is not set correctly you won't be able to Continue.
Match columns from your file to properties in OfficeRnD
At the bottom of the import page you'll be able to see two rows of columns:
The first row displays the default columns in OfficeRND.
The second row displays the columns of the uploaded file. You can match your columns to the columns in OfficeRND so that you can make sure that the data from your columns are going to be used in the default ORND column. Following the same logic, you can match a custom property field to an existing custom property in OfficeRnD.
If there are any errors or inconsistencies in the data, the system will display a warning and will not let you continue.Note: In such situations where "Company with name X does not exist", the import file should be uploaded anew, as you are not able to create Companies within the Members import, and this is considered a validation error.
You'll be able to see a description of the problem either on the row that's problematic or on the whole column.
Additionally, if there are any errors in the file there is an "Upload new file" below that you can use in case you have fixed the errors, and you would like to proceed with the import functionality anew.
Note: If there is an error message that for some reason you are not able to troubleshoot, you can reach out to email@example.com.
Review the import summary below (Summary of what this data will add/update).
Save your choices as a matching preset for future imports (Optional - columns will be automatically matched. You will still be able to re-match and edit them). You will need to click on "Save preset CSV", set an Import Settings Name, and then save the changes made. You can choose this matching preset in future imports.
- Click on the "Import" button.
- You will receive a confirmation of a successful data import.
Update Members using the Import Feature
As we mentioned earlier, the Import Feature can be also used for Updating purposes, if the companies already exist in the system, new members won't be added, but the system will update the existing ones. Here is an example:
- Import Memberships